The Quidi Vidi Village Plantation is designed to accelerate the growth of new craft enterprises. The cooperative atmosphere of The Plantation, combined with its many opportunities for professional development, will strengthen one’s ability to build a successful career in craft. Studio artists participate in a series of workshops and training opportunities to develop their business skills and advance their creative techniques.
The Quidi Vidi Village Plantation features
- A 4600 square foot, fully accessible two-story building
- Ten individual studio spaces of approximately 120 square feet each
- All studios have running water, separate ventilation, and a window
- Large skylights to provide plenty of natural light
- Studio spaces designed for interaction with the public
- Separate shared workspace for larger projects and equipment
- Open atrium exhibition space
- Elevator access to second floor
- Public washrooms
- High-speed wireless internet
Individuals interested in having a studio at The Plantation will be invited to submit an application. To qualify, individuals must
- be an emerging craftsperson – with design and technical craft skills, near the beginning of their craft career (no age restrictions apply)
- have at least the beginnings of a marketable craft product line, which either meets or has the potential to meet the Standards of Quality of the Craft Council of Newfoundland and Labrador
- be willing to participate in all activities provided as training and professional development
- want a full-time career as a professional craftsperson
- commit to be working in the studio for a minimum of 30 hours per week
- be a resident of Newfoundland and Labrador for the past six months.
Deadlines to submit an application will be published and advertised when studio space becomes available – usually two times a year. A selection committee comprised of professionals with a broad range of craft and business expertise review applications and select The Plantation craftspeople. Short listed applicants will be invited to an interview at which time they can present their creative work and their business goals in person. All applicants are evaluated on the following criteria:
- technical skills, artistic ability, originality in design, and potential for products to meet the Craft Council’s Standards of Quality, if juried status has not already been attained
- entrepreneurial spirit and commitment to starting a full time professional craft business in Newfoundland and Labrador
- ability and comfort level working in view of the public
- commitment to be in their studios during public hours
- capacity of the applicant to contribute to the sense of community that exists among the artisans
Studio craftspeople at The Plantation are expected to be committed to advancing their creative and technical skills, as well as developing their business skills, and must be present and working in their studios for a minimum of 30 hours per week during public hours. Public hours change seasonally, and the hours are currently under review.
A series of seminars/workshops will be provided on site to cover a range of business skills, from the basics to the more advanced as determined by needs of the individual/group. Financial support may also be available to pursue training opportunities elsewhere. Studio artists meet regularly with a committee charged with the goal of helping them to make plans, set goals, chart progress, and to be successful.
Craftspeople selected for a studio at the Quidi Vidi Village Plantation will be required to sign a one-year lease agreement with the Anna Templeton Centre. Leases may be renewed annually, depending on progress, for an additional four years (for five years in total). Renewal is not automatic and is dependent on professional growth and the advancement of one’s craft business. It is expected that at the end of their term at The Plantation the craftsperson will be ready to launch their enterprise somewhere in the province.
Rent paid by craftspeople at The Plantation is a reduced rate and is based on the following sliding scale:
Year Three, Four & Five
Please note that these rental amounts include HST, commercial general liability insurance and business occupancy tax – and – these amounts are subject to change.
Benefits to the craftsperson with a studio at The Planation:
- Excellent studio space at affordable rates
- A supportive environment in which to test out and develop their business ideas, an opportunity to share ideas and learn from their peers, and avail of business training in a craft context
- Shared access to office equipment including copier, printer, computer workstation and Wi-Fi
- A business mailing address with courier receiving
- High profile platform from which to create and launch new products
- The facility attracts a high number of summer visitors & the studio space may also be a small retail storefront to sell directly to visitors
- Craftspeople may take commissions for future work
- Inclusion in promotional and marketing materials profiling The Plantation
- Studios are accessible between the hours of 8 am and 11 pm daily
- Point of Sale system including debit/credit cards for sales from studio
Please read carefully
There is no open flame allowed in the building. There is also a strict no pets and no alcohol policy. The Plantation does not provide housing or any stipends. Craftspeople supply all of their own tools, equipment, furniture and supplies.
Craftspeople may sell directly to their customers from their studios and a 20% commission is taken from all sales. This money is collected to support the programming costs of professional development, marketing and promotions, and other artisan driven activities.
To be considered for a studio at the Quidi Vidi Village Plantation, please complete the attached application form and return it, with samples and support materials, to
Anna Templeton Centre for Craft Art & Design
278 Duckworth Street
St. John’s, NL
Mail-In or Drop-Off:
Applications may be mailed or dropped off during business hours
(Monday – Friday, 8:30-4:30) OR via email:
firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com